Episode 1049 of Casualty is the first episode of the show's 32nd series. The episode was directed by Steve Brett and written by Dana Fainaru. The events of this episode take place on 29 and 30 July.
Dylan, David, Alicia and Louise arrive in France to offer their expertise to migrants stranded at a refugee camp. There, Alicia takes a shine to British medic Cameron Hamilton, who has been on the scene for a while, helping the camp's women and children. However, he is displeased with Louise and Alicia when he deems an act of goodwill not appropriate for the camp.
Meanwhile, Dylan finds himself becoming emotionally involved in the plight of two Sudanese orphans, who have fallen prey to ruthless people-traffickers. He bonds with 12-year-old Sanosi, who is at the camp with his older sister Mariam. Dylan's compassion for Sanosi takes a turn when he finds Dylan's wallet and considers keeping it. However, that night Mariam is attacked by the traffickers and Dylan stays at the camp with them overnight to make sure they're safe.
Back at the hospital, Connie is shocked to learn Sam has resigned and seems to have disappeared back to America with Grace. Grace video calls her, unaware that Connie knew nothing about her departure. However, Connie holds it together to prevent Grace being unhappy, but hits her phone, injuring her hand. Ethan treats her but she insists everything is okay with Grace, refusing to admit the real story.
The following day, Mariam and Sanosi go missing and Dylan assumes they've made a break for it with the traffickers. A local boy at the camp informs them that they've gone to the docks. The team of medics speed down to the docks, where the immigrants have been put into a container. However, disaster strikes when the chains holding up the container break, leaving it hanging vertically with the people falling out. Dylan manages to climb up and save Sanosi, but Mariam falls to her death.
- William Beck as Dylan Keogh
- Jason Durr as David Hide
- Chelsea Halfpenny as Alicia Munroe
- Azuka Oforka as Louise Tyler
- Amanda Mealing as Connie Beauchamp
- Derek Thompson as Charlie Fairhead
- George Rainsford as Ethan Hardy
- Charles Venn as Jacob Masters
- Amanda Henderson as Robyn Miller
- Jamie Davis as Max Walker
- Michael Stevenson as Iain Dean
- Emily Carey as Grace Beauchamp-Strachan
- Tut Nyuot as Sanosi Jemal
- Adelaide Obeng as Mariam Jemal
- Cian Barry as Cameron Hamilton
- Raphael Desprez as Emile Coudert
- Shobu Kapoor as Chanda Perry
- George Rossi as Steve Perry
- Steve Walsh as Etienne
Both episode one and two of the series were filmed in Wales, not on-location in France.
- During production, this episode's title was "Dr Dylan". However, when the decision was made not to have episode titles for the series, this name was scrapped.
Notes and references
- In "Man Up", the trip to France is mentioned as being four weeks away. The events of that episode take place on 1 July.