Iain wakes up in a cold sweat after having a nightmare about Sam's death. At work, Jan informs him that he has repeatedly missed his targets and implores him to talk to her if he's struggling. On a shout, Iain and Ruby treat a teenage girl named Katie who has fallen over while trying to catch the school bus, and she refuses to allow her mother to come to the ED with her.
Alicia treats her and discharges her, but, as she leaves with her father, he spots her mother, and the two start to argue. Iain and Ruby try to deescalate the situation, and Katie has a seizure. Once she is stabilised and her blood test results come back, Alicia asks her if she is making herself throw up. Iain visits Katie and encourages her to tell her parents how she feels, but, when they continue to row, she decides to get their attention by standing on the roof of the department. Iain convinces her to come down, but, as she turns, she loses her footing and falls.
Later, Iain desperately tries to book a counselling session, but he is told that there is a waiting list. Ruby finds him and informs him that Katie is alive, and Iain asks her if she wants to go to The Hope & Anchor. That evening, they go drinking together, and Ruby tells him that she admires him. Iain kisses her, but Ruby tells him that isn't what she meant and leaves in embarrassment.
At home, Duffy calls Charlie for help after she falls down the stairs, and he sends an ambulance. Once she arrives at the ED, she is embarrassed by the attention she is garnering. As she waits for an X-ray, Charlie gives her a tablet and suggests that she checks to see what her diagnosis is. After much contemplation, she inputs all of her psychological symptoms into the app, and she is left shaken when it suggests that she has dementia. Later, Charlie admits to Duffy that he has not been fair to her lately and promises to spend more time with her.
Meanwhile, Robyn allows Marty to take Charlotte to the creche. There, he meets Joshua, and he asks him out for a drink. Elsewhere, Jan receives multiple phone calls from an unknown caller who asks her for money. Despite initially refusing to send them any, she later changes her mind.
- Michael Stevenson as Iain Dean
- Maddy Hill as Ruby Spark
- Cathy Shipton as Lisa "Duffy" Duffin
- Derek Thompson as Charlie Fairhead
- Amanda Mealing as Connie Beauchamp
- William Beck as Dylan Keogh
- Chelsea Halfpenny as Alicia Munroe
- George Rainsford as Ethan Hardy
- Azuka Oforka as Louise Tyler
- Amanda Henderson as Robyn Miller
- Tony Marshall as Noel Garcia
- Shaheen Jafargholi as Marty Kirkby
- Di Botcher as Jan Jenning
- Paul Barber as Ernest Maxwell
- Gareth David-Lloyd as Joshua Bowers
- Sarah Durham as Emily Millard
- Matt Slack as Sean Millard
- Kate Lassman Long as Katie Millard
- Colin Bennett as Stan Hawksley